The French heritage is more than just beautiful monuments and museums. The French cuisine is one of the best in the world.
Here are a few most-loved dishes from France :
- Coq au vin : Coq au vin is a French dish of chicken braised with wine, mushrooms, and garlic. A red Burgundy wine is typically used although mostly local wines are used. Coq au vin tastes delicious with anything starchy that can soak up the wine sauce, like potatoes or crusty French bread. You could also use rice, couscous or any other grains of your liking.
- Gratin Dauphinoise : This creamy goodness is made of potatoes, cream, cheese with a hint of thyme and garlic. Potatoes are sliced and baked in milk or cream, this dish is originally from the Dauphiné region in France.
- Cassoulet : Cassoulet is a slow-cooked casserole containing meat, pork skin and white beans, which originated in southern France. It gets its name from after its traditional cooking vessel, the cassole which is an earthenware pot with slanting sides. It contains all elements of a great meal in one dish.
- Cordon bleu : This is a deep-fried or pan-fried dish which has meat wrapped around cheese. There are many variants of this dish that have surfaced too.
- Quiche Lorraine : Quiche is a French tart that mostly consists of pastry crust filled with savoury custard, cheese, meat, seafood or vegetables. Quiche Lorraine is one of the most famous variants of quiche, it consists of bacon. It can be served hot or cold and is very popular.
- Croque Monsieur : This dish is a quick snack made of ham and cheese. The "female counterpart" of this dish is Croque Madame which is essentially the same dish but with a fried egg, sunny-side-up on top of the sandwich.
- Croissant : A croissant is a flaky pastry. It is dypically used as a breakfast dish. This dish has a layered texture and is absolutely delicious.
- Crêpe bretonne : This is a traditional dish in lower Brittany. It can be made savoury or sweet as per your choice. They are easy to prepare from scratch and these crepes make a great breakfast, brunch or light lunch time meal.
- Carbonade flamande : This is a Belgian beef and onion stew which has beer. It is seasoned with thyme, bay leaves and mustard. This dish originated in Belgium and is the perfect savoury dish.